Thursday, December 9, 2010

Bushido

Lol, i hope i did not spell that word wrongly. ><
That word it's kinda cool, it means 武士道 in Chinese. I learn this word from the movie that i watched recently - The Last Samurai. This movie is awesome!! I love it very much. =D Here are some of my favourite quotes from the movie.
( Algren - Tom Cruise )

Emperor Meiji: Tell me how he died.
Algren: I will tell you how he lived.
(This is the last dialogue of the whole movie. COOL!! **he: Katsumoto, the Samurai )

Katsumoto: You believe a man can change his destiny?
Algren: I think a man does what he can, until his destiny is revealed.

Katsumoto: This is my son's village. We are deep in the mountains, and the winter is coming. You cannot escape.
Nobutada: Jolly Good.

[Nobutada is shamed by Imperial Guards who cut off his top knot and take his swords, leaving him in a heap in the street]
Algren: C'mon, I'll take you home.
Nobutada: Jolly good.
(haha, Nobutada learn that from Algren, kinda funny. ** Nobutada is the son of Katsumoto)

Algren: You want me to kill Jappos, I'll kill Jappos.
Colonel Bagley: I'm not asking you to kill anybody.
Algren: You want me to kill THE ENEMIES of Jappos, I'll kill THE ENEMIES of Jappos... Rebs, or Sioux, or Cheyenne... For 500 bucks a month I'll kill whoever you want. But keep one thing in mind: I'd happily kill you for free.
(I just simply like the last few words. =D)

Algren: [shouting] What do you want from me?
Katsumoto: What do you want for yourself?

Emperor Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people.
Ambassador Swanbeck: Sir, if I may...
Emperor Meiji: So sorry, but you may not.
(haha, the Emperor is damn cool. XD)

Silent Samurai: Algren-San.
[he rushes in front of Algren to protect him from being shot, and is consequently shot himself]
Algren: Bob.
(The name of the Samurai that protected Algren is actually not Bob. haha....)

Nobutada: Father, let me stay. It is my time.
(sobs...... so touching, bushido...)

Katsumoto: The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.
(sakura is nice, i wish i have the chance to see it with my eyes)

Algren
: Who sent those men to kill you? Was it the Emperor? Omura?
Katsumoto: If The Emperor wishes my death, he has but to ask.
Algren: So it was Omura.

Algren: There was once a battle at a place called Thermopylae, where three hundred brave Greeks held off a Persian army of a million men... a million, you understand this number?
Katsumoto: I understand this number.

[about General Hasegawa]
Algren: He fought with the Samurai?
Simon Graham: He IS Samurai.
(** General Hasegawa is the general for the Imperial's Guard)

Simon Graham: You insolent, useless son of a peasant dog! How dare you show your sword in his presence! Do you know who this is?
[pointing to Algren]
Simon Graham: This is the President of the United States of America! He is here to lead our armies in victorious battle against the rebels!
Guard: It is not my responsibility...
Simon Graham: Now get over there and help those men with their equipment!
Guard: [to his men] Carry the equipment.
[Algren and Graham go through]
Algren: The President of the United States?
Simon Graham: Sorry. I think I'm going to be sick.
(haha...xD)

Taka: Japanese men do not help with this
Algren: [grabs firewood basket] I am not Japanese
(cool~)

Higen: Will you fight the white men, too?
Algren: If they come here, yes.
Higen: Why?
Algren: Because they come to destroy what I have come to love.
(I like this.... **Higen is son of Taka)

Nobutada: [after Algren is defeated in fencing pratice] Please forgive; too many mind.
Algren: [puzzeled] "Too many mind?"
Nobutada: Hai, mind the sword, mind the people watch, mind enemy - -too many mind.
[seriously]
Nobutada: No mind.
Algren: [pretending getting it] No mind.
[returns to training only to be defeated yet again, much to the laughter of Nobutada and his cousin]

Algren: This is Katsumoto's sword. He would have wanted you to have it. He hoped with his dying breath that you would remember his ancestors who held this sword, and what they died for. May the strength of the Samurai be with you always.

Algren
: There is some comfort in the emptiness of the sea, no past, no future.

Algren: [narrating] Winter, 1877. What does it mean to be Samurai? To devote yourself utterly to a set of moral principles. To seek a stillness of your mind. And to master the way of the sword.

Emperor Meiji
: My ancestors have ruled Japan for 2,000 years. And for all that time we have slept. During my sleep I have dreamed. I dreamed of a unified Japan. Of a country strong and independent and modern... And now we are awake. We have railroads and cannon, Western clothing. But we cannot forget who we are. Or where we come from.

And here are some pictures of the movie











Tom Cruise is SOOOO handsome!! xDD

Watch this movie. really, it's very nice. =)

-X-

1 comment:

-NYT- said...

i like watched it b4..maybe? o.o